Many people love golf but unfortunately many people also have got injured while playing it. It is reported that 80% of the injuries are back injuries. Here are some chiropractic golf tips you can do before going to the green to prevent injury.
1. Entire body stretching
You can increase the flexibility of your body by having a stretching before and after a golf game. You must focus on some muscles and areas of the body, such as calves, Achilles tendon, hamstring, hips, hip flexor, quadriceps, wrist, core, upper and lower back, shoulders, and pectorals.
2. Core strengthening
When you swing your club, you use your core muscle. The mistake that people think about their core is that it is simply the abdominal muscles. While in fact, core muscle consists of larger muscle group from shoulder to pelvis:
- Scapular stabilizers (muscles that function to keep shoulder joints and blades in place)
- Three layers of abdominal muscle: rectus abdominis, external oblique muscle, and transverse abdominis
- Multifidus (thin muscles located in spine)
- Crucial muscles on the hips: gluteus minimus, medius, and maximus
- Pelvic floor muscle (muscles that function to help the pelvic movement)
3. Off-course practice
One of the ways to keep your body fit when you’re on the course is by having a practice off the course. For example, in midweek, you can practice to swing in the backyard.
4. Hip exercise
Golf is focused on the hips. Your swing can be improved by stabilizing the muscles assisting the hip rotation. This way will also reduce your back pain. You can strengthen your hip muscles and increase its flexibility by doing open and closed kinetic chain exercises, such as:
- Open kinetic chain exercises: chest presses, bicep curls, leg curls and leg extensions
- Closed kinetic chain exercises: pushups, pull-ups, squats and lunges
5. Body Observation
You need to observe your own body. Anytime it tells you stop, you must stop and don’t push yourself too hard. When you experience pain, it means that your body tries to send you a message. If necessary, you can put down your clubs for a couple of days and take a rest.